How to easily cook the traditional catalan Christmas soup: Escudella i carn d’olla.
Escudella (meaning bowl in Catalan) – a large stew-soup traditionally made at Christmas, a favourite cold-weather dish to warm the soul! Normally made from anything available and boiled all day. Here is one of many versions:
- Ham bone
- Marrow bone (veal or beef)
- Generous pinch of saffron
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 oz Salt pork
- 1 smoked sausage
- 4 oz Peeled, chopped onions
- 1/2 chicken cut into bite-sized pieces OR 1/2 lb veal cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 lb potatoes
- 1 medium Leek
- 5 oz carrots
- 4 oz cabbage
- 4 oz rice
- 3 oz pasta
- 1/2 cup white beans/chickpeas
Make a broth with the water, veal and ham bones, simmering slowly. Add the saffron. Blanch the salt pork to remove excess salt, and dice. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the diced salt pork and chopped onions. When the onions begin to brown, add the pieces of chicken and/or veal and cook slowly. Peel potatoes, leek and carrots, chop, and add to sausage, chicken and/or veal. Chop cabbage finely and add. Remove bones from broth and discard. Empty contents of frying pan into broth, adding beans, rice and pasta, and pepper to taste. Continue cooking over medium flame until newly added ingredients are cooked through and serve.
This dish is traditionally served in three parts……
- The escudella or soup itself with pasta or rice.
- The carn d’olla on a separate dish with all the meat used in the stew.
- The vegetables.
Video: © infocatalan